7 Things

I was recently tagged by That Unreliable Girl to indulge in the the *7 Things You Don't Know About Me* survey...so, here goes nothing. #1 - In 2005, two of my best friends and I took a post-graduation backpacking trip to Europe. We were gone over a month, saw everything from Amsterdam to Barcelona to Rome and all that lies in between...including Salzburg, Austria, the lovely city that played host to one of our favorite movies, "The Sound of Music."

Upon our tour we saw the Von Trapp household, the cathedral, the abbey, and of course the gazebo. Our timing was impeccable, as the actress who played Liesel herself in original movie was there, filming a 40th anniversary spot. We had the unbelievably good fortune to sing alongside Liesel herself, "I Am 16, Going on 17," in chorus with about 25 other tourists. Defintiely a moment I shall never forget!#2 - I took and competed in Scottish dancing for 5 years as a kid. The kilts, the sashes, the stockings and lace-up shoes, you name it, I wore it! I used to attend outdoor tournaments that felt like you were transported back in time to the era of William Wallace himself. #3 - I am related to the scarecrow from the original Wizard of Oz (he is a cousin on my mom's side and shares her maiden name).#4 - I am every inch a sorority girl. I joined a house a week before starting my freshman year of college, lived in for 4 years, and loved every second. While I don't fit the sorority-girl stereotype in the least, I could still sing at least 20 sorority songs upon request.
#5 - I love, love, love banana milkshakes. Yes, banana. Not your typical vanilla or chocolate, no sirree, I'd opt for a fresh banana milkshake anyday of the week.
#6 - I have a little bit of an obsession with travel magazines, and reading travel paraphernalia. I have a monthly subscription to Budget Travel, Travel+Leisure, and Conde Nast Traveller. Unfortunately I do not take vacations as often as I'd like given my teacher's salary, but I'm always saving for the next getaway.#7 - My original career plan before I became an elementary school teacher (which I absolutely love)...was to become a curator. I majored in art history and enjoy learning about all types of art; paintings, sculptures, architecture, installation...I soon realized that Seattle wasn't quite the market for a career in art history, but thankfully I happily landed in the field of education, and haven't looked back since.Next...
tagging these 7 people whose blogs I love...
1. Melisa of The Lil Bee
2. Lilie of Enroute
3. Melanie of You Are My Fave
4. Leigh of Marvelous Kiddo
5. Rachel of Heart of Light
6. Baillie of Mrs. Bliss
7. Summer of Design is Mine

8 comments

Anonymous said...

i am sooo jealous that you got to go to austria and see all of that. and... to sing with her! that must have been fantastic! it is one of my all time favorite movies, such a classic!!!

your whole trip sounded so fun!

i also LOVE banana milkshakes!!!

have a merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

I am so freaking impressed by numbers one and three!!

Rachel said...

Awwww. Thanks for the tag.
And now I'm dying for a banana milkshake.

You Are My Fave said...

I've also been on the Sound of Music tour and probably embarrassed myself by dancing and singing the whole time.

Seven things eh? I should be able to come up with something.

lily green said...

I wish I'd done Scottish dancing in my youth instead of the usual ballet -- the costumes are so pretty!

I'm so happy you tagged me, I love doing these and will try to have my responses up soon.

Vivian said...

I'm secretly obsessed with the Sound of Music! How fantastic you got to see where they filmed it, and meet Leisel! So, so cool. Thanks for sharing!

this one said...

umm, are you in ADPi too? Well then, Hello Sister. :)

Haha, I am not the traditional soro girl either. hmmm.

This is quite an exciting day!!

Ms Unreliable said...

Wow what a Slacky McSlacker I've been over the holiday break (us Aussies have a long break at this time of year, this being our Summer holiday and all!) A very belated thank you for sharing that with us Michelle! You've made me crave a banana smoothie, watch Legally Blonde (where I derive my only knowledge of sororities...sad but true), AND you've made me want to return to Europe this very minute. Good heavens you managed to fit a lot into a month too, I only covered half the territory you did in the same period of time. I need to lift my game!

xx Kit